Thursday, June 11, 2020

Black Lives T-shirts & Staying Fit - Part 2

I wrote this post about exercise picking, up where I left off a week or so ago, however, I could not go forward with such a lighthearted post without saying how heartbroken, confused and wondering what the heck can I do to help? One simple way I can help is by supporting Black owned businesses. The following T-shirt brands are donating their profits to places that directly benefit The George Floyd Memorial Fund, Minnesota Freedom Fund and myriad other organizations: Vagabondary/Etsy, Custom Ink, Kidsuper.com (this one has raised over $250,000 for the cause) and of course; Black Lives Matter. Buying one of these T-shirts will ensure that the profit is going to benefit those who need it. Put one on and go for your run or bike ride and know you have given to a worthy cause.

Last week I wrote about the challenge of staying fit during the pandemic. Pickle ball stopped dead in its tracks and something had to fill the void other than daily walks and hikes. So began the journey into weight lifting. Minor weights and repetitions, but hey, it's something.

Now, behold! Pickle ball is back. The lovely couple who run and organize the leagues I have played in, invited those of us that signed up for Spring League to play several days last week. The Spring League was cancelled due to the coronavirus so this was a bit of a consolation prize. I'll take it!

What a delight it was to hit that darn ball around a court and over a net. I got to play two days with people at the same level as I. How easy it was to forget what a serious workout it can be. We played almost non-stop for two hours. I certainly felt those unused muscles the next day.

 The public courts opened as well. I summoned up my courage and ventured out with a bit of trepidation. Since we had a foursome there was no need to mingle with others. We played early but even so the heat eventually got to me. I'm so thrilled to be playing once again.

If you enjoy a sport or activity and were deprived of it, the resumption of it feels like a gift. Of course, we need to employ measures to keep ourselves safe as the coronavirus has not, unfortunately, left the U.S. as yet and, in fact cases are up in some areas and appears it may be around for awhile.

The majority of the pickle ball players are over 55 or thereabouts. It's wonderful to see folks in this age group be dedicated to staying fit and running around a court like a youngster.

One of my favorite books on aging and staying fit; Younger Next Year, for Women, states repeatedly: "We can choose growth or decay. The choice we make by being sedentary or isolated is as powerful as the choice we make by exercising or connecting. The rules are straightforward: Exercise hard and you will grow younger. Care about other people and you will grow happier. Build a life that you think means something and you will grow richer." Those are the words of one of the two authors: Dr. Henry S. Lodge. And are words I live by.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanksgiving

I wish my readers a happy and blessed Thanksgiving Day. I am so grateful for the four years I have been writing and you have been gracious e...