Thursday, June 4, 2020

Read While Our Hearts are Breaking

America's heart is breaking. As though the coronavirus pandemic wasn't bad enough, now we have the murder of a black man by a policeman and the resulting protests and looting. So painful for everyone. My heart goes out to the family and all the families who have lost a loved one to police brutality and racism at the hands others.

It is important to take a bit of time from each day to reflect on what is happening and perhaps, to pray, if that is your style. We must take care of ourselves through all this despair and heartache. One way to do that is to escape through the pages of a good book. As you know, it is not a selfish thing to take time for yourself. It is a necessity.

There are quite a few books that have lingered in my memory long after I've filed them away on my bookshelf.  I'd like to share a few with you. Since we have more free time on our hands these days, why not take advantage and read an interesting story?

I'm going to share fiction and a few memoirs with you. Two of the novels are fictional/biographies. What I mean by this is the authors began with facts that are known and proceeded to build a story around the facts. A 'possibility of what may have happened' or 'what actually may have transpired' are how the authors tell their stories. Both of these novels are favorites of mine.

The first is Blonde by Joyce Carol Oates. It is said to be an historical chronicling of the inner life of  Norma Jean Baker aka Marilyn Monroe. Blonde was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize in 2001. It has been called a "masterpiece of introspection". I have always loved and admired Ms. Oates writing and this is no exception.

My other favorite 'biographical novel' is Dancer by Colum McCann. This is an erotic telling of the amazing life of Rudolf Nureyev beginning with his early days in Russia where he was raised, to the places he lived and danced, to the social circles he navigated. It's a mesmerizing saga.

For the animal lovers out there; is Unsaid by Neil Abramson. The narrator is Helena, a veterinarian who has died but cannot move on because of the mistakes she believes she has made regarding the dogs and other animals under her care. One of them is a chimpanzee whom she helped teach sign language. I had a hard time putting this book down.

On a completely different note, I admire the books by Nelson DeMille and The Gold Coast will not disappoint. The main character, John Sutter, a partner in a distinguished New York City law firm has a new neighbor - none other than the head of one of New York's most notorious crime families. The story will amuse and confound you. And leave you wanting for more.

Two of my favorite autobiographies are by Mary Karr. The Liar's Club is her often humorous tale of her family's tendency to violence, insanity and alcoholism. She has also written Lit - an accounting of her downward spiral into alcoholism, her marriage, son and finally her triumph over her demons. I read this when it was published in 2009 and recently read it again. A story worth re-reading.

Another gem of a memoir is The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. Ms. Walls writes about her unconventional, poverty-stricken upbringing at the hands of her deeply dysfunctional parents. Despite this there was unconditional love that propelled the author to design a successful life.

I would be remiss if I did not take this opportunity to suggest reading anti-racist books. I have read only one of the books I am suggesting; "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings", but have done a bit of research and these appear to be some of the best:

Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates
So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo
Home by Toni Morrison (everything by Ms. Morrison is worth reading)
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
Eloquent Rage by Brittney Cooper (I plan on ordering this one)

Educating ourselves is one way to take a stand against racism.

Be kind to yourself and take time out for a good read.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanksgiving

I wish my readers a happy and blessed Thanksgiving Day. I am so grateful for the four years I have been writing and you have been gracious e...