Thursday, February 4, 2021

Live Now

Michael Singer, the author of "The Untethered Soul," seriously startled me with the following: 

"It is truly a great cosmic paradox that one of the best teachers in all of life turns out to be death. No person or situation could tell you that you are not your body; death shows you. While someone could remind you of the insignificance of the things that you cling to, death takes them all away in a second. While people can teach you that men and women of all races are equal and that there is no difference between the rich and poor, death instantly makes us all the same."

 Most of us know this subconsciously, yet it is not something we think about. Mr. Singer defines death sensitively and accurately. I'm not saying that this quote has changed my life; however, it has made a significant impression. 

If you knew you had one week to live, what would you do? What would you change? How would your thoughts change? Are you making the most of your days, or are you wasting time, treating it like it's not something precious? Michael asks these questions in his book. 

It definitely has given me a lot to think about. I love this part: .." the Angel of Death comes to you and says, 'Come, it's time to go.' You say, 'But no, You're supposed to give me a warning so I can decide what I want to do with my last week. I'm supposed to get one more week.' Do you know what Death will say to you? He'll say, 'My God! I gave you fifty-two weeks this past year alone. And look at all the other weeks I've given you. Why would you need one more? What did you do with all those?' If asked that, what are you going to say? How will you answer? 'I wasn't paying attention...I didn't think it mattered.' That's a pretty amazing thing to say about your life."

Let's not squander in any way, one millisecond. Even with this pandemic, it is possible to make the most of our days. Yes, take time to nourish yourself, emotionally, spiritually, and physically - that is of utmost importance. Be sure to do the things that matter to you, the things we often think we'll do later. For me, it's picking up the phone to call a loved one I haven't spoken to recently. To go for a hike, to resurrect my easel, paints, brushes, or write my thoughts in my journal before they escape my consciousness.

What is it you have been postponing for another day? I repeat, do not waste another minute of this beautiful, precious life.  I say, do it now.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanksgiving

I wish my readers a happy and blessed Thanksgiving Day. I am so grateful for the four years I have been writing and you have been gracious e...