Thursday, June 18, 2020

What Good Can Come of This

The title of this post What Good Can Come of This is a question I ask myself often when confronted with an untenable situation. It's quite an appropriate question to ask ourselves now in the wake of the protests, looting, police brutality and racism that has a grip on our country today.

For one thing the conversation, long buried under years of injustice, has once again been brought to the forefront. We cannot hide from it. Blacks are being singled out time and again for various reasons by  law enforcement. It is time for action. And action is being taken.

Citizens by the thousands have taken to the streets to protest calmly and passionately arm in arm with people of all colors. Police are linking arms, as well, with peaceful protesters. What a beautiful image and message. As we know the major percentage of police men and women are fair, competent, kind and also believe in justice.

I lived through the Viet Nam and civil rights movements and protests of the '60's and hoped and expected change. Unfortunately, the change did not materialize in a big way. I am more hopeful today. I expect that some good can come of this.

I will leave my thoughts there for now, as I am still processing all that has transpired over the past few weeks. We all are in pain, grief and disbelief not only from George Floyd's death, but because of all the deaths due to racism including the latest homicide of Rayshard Brooks. As we know, the deadly Covid pandemic also continues to persist.

The following quote has been asked many times over for several hundred years by mystics, leaders, and people of all walks of life, whether it pertains to something very personal as the death of a loved one or a worldwide pandemic. I heard author Elizabeth Gilbert ask this particular question in an interview a year or more ago and it is one I have asked myself in times of struggle and confusion: "What am I being asked to do and learn and grow out of this? And why is this being offered to me in this amount of pain?"

Certainly, some good can come of this.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanksgiving

I wish my readers a happy and blessed Thanksgiving Day. I am so grateful for the four years I have been writing and you have been gracious e...