Thursday, October 3, 2019

Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Most of us, once we reach our fifties and beyond, know at least one person who has had breast cancer, or a friend of a friend who has been diagnosed.  It is frightening.

Two years ago my sister was diagnosed. One week later, during the course of my annual mammogram, a "suspicious thickening" was detected. After several other tests, it was decided that there wasn't a tumor or lump of any kind, simply my dense breasts giving us a scare.  Phew.  Got out of that one.

My sister wasn't as lucky.  She underwent a lumpectomy followed by 4 weeks of radiation and several months later, reconstructive surgery (the radiation left her breast a bit deformed). She is, thank God, cancer-free today.

In addition to my sister, I have four friends who have been diagnosed, treated and are cancer-free today. It appears it is becoming an epidemic. However, I believe the reality is that more women than ever are having mammograms and/or are doing breast self-exams.  And the wonderful news is that with all the screenings we have for early detection and the various modes of treatment more women than ever are surviving and living long, productive lives.

In addition, we now know that we have a huge say in our health in general, and breast health specifically.  It's been proven that a healthy diet consisting of lots of fruit and vegetables, small amounts (or no amount) of alcohol, and physical exercise at least three days a week goes a long way in preventing this dreaded disease.

In addition, cutting way back on chemical use in the home is considered a smart move - as in using more natural cleaning products, and hair and body items, as well.

My husband's mother died when she was in her 40's from breast cancer, my hubby was 13 years old, when he and his three siblings were left without their mom. The 5 year survival rate in the '60's was very low  - about 65%.  Now it is 90+%.

And let us not forget about men.  Although rare, breast cancer does affect men as well. Before I moved to Arizona, I volunteered for To Celebrate Life an organization that assists under-served cancer patients in Marin County and surrounding areas and we had several men in the group.

Let us do all we can to stay healthy and cancer-free and remind your friends and family to do monthly breast self-exams and yearly mammograms.

P.S.  After writing this post, it was announced that Beyonce's father was diagnosed with breast cancer.  Sadly, no on is immune.  Let us be well and healthy.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanksgiving

I wish my readers a happy and blessed Thanksgiving Day. I am so grateful for the four years I have been writing and you have been gracious e...