Thursday, September 19, 2019

An Unlikely Subject: Sports

I never thought I'd write about sports.  I rarely even read about sports unless it's something especially eye catching - as an unexpected Super Bowl win or my team winning the World Series.  However, I'm in California which was my home for over 40 years and whenever I'm here I watch my beloved San Francisco Giants on TV.  Silly me - last week I canceled the extra channels I had on my Comcast as I'm only here a couple of months of the year and it seemed like a waste of money.  Jeez, why didn't I wait until baseball was over!? Tonight the Giants are on the MLB channel - one of the ones I canceled. Rats.

That got me thinking about my other favorite teams. I grew up in New Jersey and my mother was a die hard Yankee fan, so, of course, was I.  She was so nuts about them and Mickey Mantle, in particular, that she became known as Mickey.  That name stuck with her for over 40 years.  I still root for the Yankees today.  And, they are my husband's favorite team, as well.  That and the New York Giants.

After moving to Marin, the San Francisco Forty Niners became my football team, but now the New York Giants are back in my life, as well.

As if that's not enough, now that I'm living in AZ for most of the year, I have more teams to support; the Diamondbacks and the Cardinals. Holy moly.  And I haven't even mentioned basketball.

Fortunately, I'm not a huge basketball fan, but an amazing team like the Golden State Warriors cannot be ignored. They are a phenomenon and so much fun to watch.

The sport seasons roll so seamlessly from one to the other even before I'm ready for it.  And, of course, golf - a sport my husband watches on weekends, is year round.

Thank goodness pickle ball, my healthy addiction, is not yet on broadcast TV!

xo

1 comment:

Thanksgiving

I wish my readers a happy and blessed Thanksgiving Day. I am so grateful for the four years I have been writing and you have been gracious e...