Thursday, August 22, 2019

More About Friendships

I've written previously about friendships and how important they are to me. I spent time with two dear friends on my last visit to California a week ago.

My friend, Susie, and I have been friends for approximately 15 years, we're never quite sure how long it's been, and time is of no importance.  She is one of my older friends - she turned 80 in June and is quite amazing.  She swims most every day, has her 6 year old grandson overnight at least once a week and still runs an eldercare business, employing several people and managing the cases. When I visit CA we get together at least once without fail - usually for lunch or dinner.  We have the same political leanings - as do most of my friends and also similar spiritual beliefs.  Often our conversations revolve around these topics. She is a sweetheart.

The other girlfriend I saw on my last trip is Allison, a classically trained artist. Allison paints in oils and watercolors and draws figures in ink or charcoal. She also has produced amazing sculptures. Now she has written a memoir. I'm always stunned when someone is as multi-talented as she.

Allison and I have been friends for over 20 years and we don't see one another as often as I see my other California friends, but I don't love her any less than the others.  It's always a joy to be with her and we can talk for hours when we do get together. Our fathers were quite similar - strict and authoritarian and we were both raised in the Catholic Church - quite clearly heartfelt topics to discuss.

She has encouraged and advised me regarding my art.  Of course, I'm just an amateur and create art strictly for myself while Allison creates for other's enjoyment and purchase.

We also discuss books that have helped us overcome the fear that can be present when creating art. She recommended Art and Fear to me, and I informed her of a favorite of mine; Art and Soul, Reloaded. For Allison - it is a huge part of her existence - not the fear, but the art! It's wonderful to have someone with whom to share bits of our lives.

Whenever I have been with Allison, I am inspired to not only be a better artist but to take that leap of faith that creating requires.

My friends make me a better person and a more motivated individual.

xo


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanksgiving

I wish my readers a happy and blessed Thanksgiving Day. I am so grateful for the four years I have been writing and you have been gracious e...