Monday, February 18, 2019

Alcohol Free

In my previous three posts I gave you a peek into my drinking saga - from it's beginning many years ago to the very recent past.  And finally, I have found the solution. I must, want and will abstain completely from alcohol.  On September 12, 2018 I imbibed for the last time. I prepared myself for my final nights of indulging by having my last Manhattan on September 11 and my last Cosmo on September 12, my two all time favorite drinks.  I decided I wanted to exit the hamster wheel without regrets. And that I did.

I also read a small bookstore's worth of various tomes on how to quit drinking, why we should not drink, the signs of addiction, women and alcohol, etc. etc.  Some of my favorites and most informative are: Allen Carr's "Stop Drinking the Easy Way,"  Jason Vale's" Kick the Drink...Easily" and Annie Grace's "This Naked Mind", plus many autobiographies written by women addicted to alcohol who have successfully forsaken drinking and have found peace and joy in the sober life.

It has been over 5 months without a drop, sip or taste and I am thrilled to tell you life has never been better. No, it hasn't been a walk in the park and I'd be remiss if I didn't say there were many, and still are days when I really would like a lovely glass of Chardonnay, but I know that for me, that would be a glass I would regret.

I survived Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's and my birthday without a drink, and though I would have liked to enjoy one, I knew it would be a mistake. When I went to bed on those nights I was thrilled and proud of myself for having had the willpower and determination to pass on the alcohol.

I have come to see myself as one who's days of enjoying alcohol are now behind me.  I realize that I am one of those people who cannot take it or leave it.  I am one who has a glass of wine and wants another.  No point whining (pun intended) about it.  That is who I am and I accept it.

I didn't realize that my brain was fuzzy and unclear a good part of my day due to having wine or cocktails the night before.  I chalked quite a bit of this up to "allergies".  Now, after five months, I have a clarity I'd only heard about, but didn't understand.  No more fuzzy brain.  No more tired, lethargic days.  I not only have energy on less sleep but my enthusiasm and zest for life has returned.  I'm actually writing a blog that I've been procrastinating on for several years.  I wouldn't trade this euphoric feeling for any drink in the world.  Yes, I still have bad days where things don't always go my way.  But, that is part of the human experience and I am happy to enjoy all of it as a non-drinking woman!
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanksgiving

I wish my readers a happy and blessed Thanksgiving Day. I am so grateful for the four years I have been writing and you have been gracious e...