Thursday, March 4, 2021

Our Aging Brain

 

Image for post
Photo by David Matos on Unsplash

I love my brain. At least most of the time. Sure, there are times it leads me astray and down dark alleys where I have no business going.

If my husband is late arriving home, my fearful thoughts see him driving off the road and over a cliff. When I knew my son was on the ocean fishing and the weatherman predicted a storm, my mind knew for certain; he had been tossed overboard, as in the book and movie The Perfect Storm. It was, after all, a true story.

Image for post
Photo by Barth Bailey on Unsplash

To some extent, I have learned to control these frightful thoughts and become more rational and calm.

On my morning dog walk several days ago, I noticed a dead coyote lying in the weeds. I sent a photo of it to my friend Shannon, who was unable to accompany me that morning, explaining the coyote most likely was hit by a car, and someone tossed it over the barrier.

Today I passed the same coyote and realized it was not over the barrier at all. The fencing was at least 15 feet away. How did my mind recall it incorrectly? I’m not at all concerned that this is an aging brain issue. I am, however, curious about it.

Yes, my brain has served me well for many years. It is always eager to learn a new task or word and still hungry for the latest book, whether fiction, non-fiction, spiritual — you name it, I’m interested.

Recently, my curiosity about brain health has increased tenfold. I am intrigued, partly because two people in my life have been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. Both of them are my age.

The other reason I’m enthused is that there is a plethora of information on brain health widely available to the layperson. My interest has led me to do a bit of investigation.

I believed that cognitive impairments happened to the elderly. By reading the research conducted by Dr. Michael Merzenich, professor emeritus neuroscientist at UCSF, I have learned that Mild Cognitive Impairment can afflict younger people.

Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI) may be a precursor to Alzheimer’s and dementia. MCI is when cognition is no longer normal relative to age expectations. However, not everyone with MCI develops Alzheimer’s. About eight of every ten will.

The good news is we have way more control over our brain health than previously thought by scientists and researchers.

Our environment may play an even more significant role in our brain health than genetics. Our brains are plastic and changeable, not static and fixed.

Scientists have repeatedly documented the remarkable capacity for the human brain of all ages to change. This ability is known as neuroplasticity. Stay with me here…

Physical activity is a significant factor in stimulating neuroplasticity. Exercising five to six days a week is optimal. My goal is always six days, leaving one day of complete rest.

Exercise increases heart rate, which pumps more oxygen to the brain. Exercise also promotes brain plasticity by stimulating new connections between cells in many important cortical areas of the brain. It also makes it easier for the brain to grow more neuronal connections when we move our bodies.

Dr. Daniel Amen has also completed research on brain health.

As he reports: “Circulation is essential to life. It is the conduit for transporting nutrients to and toxins away from the cells. Low blood flow shrinks the brain and kills the cells.”

Image for post
Photo by Fitsum Admasu on Unsplash

Exercise is critical in promoting circulation.

Diversifying our activities also helps create new neural pathways, and these pathways help keep the brain functioning at optimal levels.

What activities are experts recommending? Being social is of utmost importance. Yes, it is more difficult now during the pandemic, but not impossible. Museums, art galleries, and various other venues are beginning to open and are invaluable in keeping the mind sharp and engaged.

Many of us have received at least one dose of the Covid vaccine, which does afford us some protection. Thus, making it possible to meet a friend for a walk or a game of tennis or pickleball while remaining at a safe distance. These sports are excellent for the brain.

Exercise involving hand-eye coordination is a proven method in keeping our brains young.

“We don’t stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.” — George Bernard Shaw.


In addition to exercising and socializing with friends, it is also essential to have a community where we feel heard and understood. Ongoing contact with our loved ones to share our joys and concerns and listen to their voices or see their smiling faces is crucial.

Yes, the brain games we’re familiar with are helpful as well, such as Scrabble, Trivial Pursuit, and online such as Luminosity and Brain HQ, the last one being the one I use. I also enjoy crossword puzzles.

“As soon as you feel too old to do a thing, do it.” — Margaret Deland.

Let us not forget diet. Eating meals rich in green leafy veggies and colorful fruits, especially berries, are paramount. I know everyone knows this, but do we eat these daily? Also, keeping meat to a minimum is advised, 4 ounces or less a day. Easy for me, but not so much for hubby. He loves his beef!

There was a time a glass of wine was recommended, primarily for heart health. Regrettably, for those who do enjoy a drink or two, the research shows no safe alcohol consumption level.

How encouraging it is to know that we have some control over how and when our brains age. It is also exhilarating that it is never too late to create new neural pathways that help keep us younger, both physically and mentally.

The point in incorporating these suggestions is not to live to a ripe old age but to enjoy our later years with vigor, health, productivity, and joy!

"Aging is not 'lost youth' but a new stage of opportunity and growth." - Betty Friedan.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanksgiving

I wish my readers a happy and blessed Thanksgiving Day. I am so grateful for the four years I have been writing and you have been gracious e...