Thursday, March 18, 2021

Evolving As We Age




Image for post

Photo by Austin Schmid on Unsplash

I’m so glad I’m here on earth; healthy, alcohol-free, blessed with family and friends both near and far. I have a loving hubby and adorable dog, and despite a few aging issues, so blessed to be taking part in life.

I'm so glad I'm here on earth; alcohol-free, blessed with family and friends both near and far. I have a loving husband, an adorable dog and despite a few aging issues, so blessed to be taking part in life.

So, what’s up with the “aging issues”? I love being active. I’m so into pickleball right now that it’s become a passion. I’m playing at least three times a week with a fantastic group of women I met while taking lessons.

My body, however, is not always cooperative. Granted, it hasn’t stopped me from playing, yet there are days my knees are screaming or arthritis in my hands is acting up, or my back is in a tirade. My latest ailment is sciatica pain. I understand the origin of this pain can often signal hip issues. I’m not allowing my mind to go there at this point. I’m using a roller to massage, and using a tennis ball against the wall pressed into that area seems to help.

Since my friends and I began playing pickleball, one knee replacement, a hip replacement, one-shoulder rotator cuff tear and repair, “tennis” elbow, and a myriad of aches and pains to body parts not accustomed to this activity, have occurred.

We refuse to allow these surgeries and discomforts to derail us, at least not permanently. As soon as the injured player heals — back on the court, she appears.

These "inconveniences" are all part and parcel of seasoned years. I have always been active, and in my younger days, I was a runner almost daily. After many years of hitting the road, an orthopedic doctor I consulted for knee pain recommended a knee replacement. Five years later, my other knee was operated on, as well. I felt 100% better and almost entirely pain-free. However, I am now experiencing a bit of pain — but it’s been 14 years and nine years since the surgeries, so not unexpected. The other issues are typical as we age — mostly arthritis.

One night I awoke from a dream, and I was gasping for breath. I was dreaming that I was climbing a steep hill and my heart was beating rapidly, and I was breathing hard from the effort. At first, I was relieved that it was only a nightmare, but then I realized that I wasn’t able to catch my breath. Hmmm. Was that from the dream or, was the dream a result of my having difficulty breathing?

My doctor recommended a sleep study that I could take at home over two nights, and sure enough — I have mild sleep apnea. Now I am armed with a CPAP mask nightly. Is that ever attractive! I’m struggling a bit with it but adjusting. And grateful that there are such devices to help keep our breathing steady during sleep.

Many of us may be healthy and active, but our spouses are not. Problems may arise due to this disparity.

Often when a man retires, he feels he’s lost his identity. This loss can lead to feelings of malaise or even depression. He may lose his vigor for life, preferring to sit in his Lazy Boy and watch Judge Judy.

Hubby may kick and flail at our suggestion to go for a walk. Each of us is responsible for ourselves, yet encouraging our husbands to be active is beneficial to both of us.

Once our guy gets out and about, he may enjoy it so much that it becomes a habit. Wouldn’t that be a welcome surprise?

For the most part, retired women seem to fare much better than their spouses. We tend to be a more social animal than the male species. Yes, we may find that we must make an effort to get out to exercise, as well, or take time to see our friends, yet we are aware that the benefits are numerous.

“Life gets mighty precious when there’s less of it to waste.” — Bonnie Raitt.


Another burden we face is how our once youthful, smooth, and strong body is no longer. We seem to have acquired an extra helping of skin on our arms, affectionately know as bat wings. I recall how I marveled when my sweet grandmother’s limbs grew that appendage. And here I am, slightly alarmed but amused, that I am now the owner of this excess epidermis. Where in God’s name did the muscle tone abscond to? Even the skin on my once shapely legs has become baggy.

Photo by Richard Burlton on Unsplash

Even though my body no longer resembles the one I once inhabited, it is still serving me remarkably well.

The above are minor compared to major diseases and various ailments from which others may suffer. My sister and two friends had been diagnosed with breast cancer.  All three underwent lumpectomies and have, by the grace of God, now determined to be cancer-free.

Recently, two friends have been diagnosed with the beginnings of Alzheimer’s. This is a reprehensible disease and terrifying for the victim.

I recall reading a story of the daughter of an Alzheimer’s patient who concluded she could no longer care for her afflicted father and maintain a full-time job and attend to her family.

She had to have him admitted to a care facility. The man’s condition, both mentally and physically, deteriorated dramatically in a short amount of time.

The patient’s adult son came to the rescue, removed his dad from the facility, and took him to his own home and under his wing. If his dad mentioned that Susie fell off her bike and skinned her knee, the son acted as though this was a current event, though it happened 25 years prior. This was his way of allowing his father to maintain his self-respect.

John, the son, took the dad out every day for walks or rides on his motorcycle, out to lunch, and agreed with everything dad said. He played poker and board games with him to engage his brain.

In a short period, dad began to flourish and tell stories of his boyhood. This older adult enjoyed the last years of his life in comfort, fellowship, and joy rather than waste away in a nursing home.

I’m not saying this works for everyone. We all have diverse situations, yet it is heartwarming to see that love and caring, understanding, and patience can make a marked improvement in a disease that seemed to dominate and negatively impact one’s life.

And once again, I count myself among the very lucky and blessed.

"Changing, growing, transforming -not always an easy or linear process, yet we are stronger for the struggle." - Elaine Katzenberger - the owner of City Lights Books, San Francisco.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanksgiving

I wish my readers a happy and blessed Thanksgiving Day. I am so grateful for the four years I have been writing and you have been gracious e...