Monday, January 18, 2021

Fear and the Inauguration

I usually publish on Thursdays but because of the inauguration on Wednesday, I felt moved to share my thoughts with you now.

Today, two days prior to the swearing-in of our new president, I'm nervous. No, I'm stressed, troubled, and terrified. 

Pro-Trump supporters who stormed the Capitol on January 6 are formulating a plan to disrupt the ceremony and perhaps, to cause harm to our newly elected president and vice-president, and others.

Washington, D.C. is on lockdown. Rigorous precautions are being implemented. Armed troops and beefed up security measures are being put in place to fortify the U.S. Capitol in response to increased fears of domestic terrorism. Still, my fears are not allayed. 

Yesterday, a man was arrested with an "unauthorized" inauguration credential. After searching his vehicle authorities discovered an unregistered, loaded Glock pistol with 509 rounds and 21 shotgun shells. I'm sure he is not alone in his attempt to penetrate security.

Many of us will never forget the horrifying day President Kennedy was shot by a sniper. This is my biggest fear for our new president. With the newest technology available to anyone, an assassin can be miles away and remain undetected. 

I want to scream from the rooftops: Move this inauguration indoors!

Yet there is no guarantee there is safety indoors. There is no telling how deep these mobsters will dig into their bag of tricks filled with hostility and antipathy.

Are you as frightened as I? Do you believe 20,000 National Guardsmen are sufficient to protect the president-elect? Will the "unscalable" barbed wire fence be enough to provide a sense of safety? We do not have the answers. 

I pray that Joe Biden, Kamala Harris, and all the participants engaging in the inauguration will be safe and secure.

I'm keeping the faith, that by this hour, on January 20th, we can take a unified sigh of relief.

xo

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanksgiving

I wish my readers a happy and blessed Thanksgiving Day. I am so grateful for the four years I have been writing and you have been gracious e...