Thursday, January 28, 2021

A Vision for Women

 Yesterday, as my Golden Retriever, Merlin, and I took our daily walk, we passed by the Islamic mosque not far from our neighborhood. I looked up to see the warming morning sun shining through the metal crescent moon atop the building. Thoughts of Middle Eastern countries where mosques are a common sight came to mind. My immediate opinion was of the women in many of these countries and how repressed they are even today in advancing women's rights.

In Saudi Arabia, for example, women were finally given the right to drive. However, there are many conditions in place, making it difficult for them to do so. Activists were imprisoned immediately before the lifting of the restrictions and remain there, enduring torture. Specific archaic ways, such as parents choosing a husband for their daughter, are ongoing despite protestation.

How fortunate are we to be American women? It hasn't always been this way, as you know. Thankfully, many brave, forward-thinking women preceded us and paved the roads ahead. True, a great deal of work still needs to be done before the playing field can be leveled in various areas.

Just last week, Kamala Harris was sworn in as the first woman elected vice president and the first Asian woman of color.

My vision is that she will be the first of a long line of brilliant, paradigm-changing female political leaders, regardless of race or color, leading the way for all of us.

"You don't make progress by standing on the sidelines, whimpering and complaining. You make progress by implementing ideas." - Shirley Chisholm.

Those of us in the third third of our lives had witnessed major transformations since we were young women when we were considered "the weaker sex."

A few interesting statistics:

- Women are 47% of the U.S. labor force, up from 30% in 1950

- Wages are on the increase, yet for every dollar a man earns, women make only $.83

- We are more likely to have a degree than men

- In 40% of households, women are the primary breadwinners

- We have made important inroads in politics yet are only 20% of Congress and 25% of state legislators

I have a few ambitious plans for the next several years of my life, and excitement is brewing as I picture what I can yet accomplish. I think, no, I know - this is one of the secrets to keeping us young and vital and engaged in life.

What are your intentions in the ensuing years? 

We must have a vision for what American women can accomplish in all capacities. Do you feel as I do that the moment is ideal for us to take a huge leap? 

With a president as compassionate and fair as Joe Biden, a strong, independent First Lady, and a change agent like Kamala Harris, how can we miss?

"Go out on a limb. That's where the fruit is." - Jimmy Carter

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanksgiving

I wish my readers a happy and blessed Thanksgiving Day. I am so grateful for the four years I have been writing and you have been gracious e...