Thursday, September 10, 2020

I Failed

Last September I set three goals for myself that I planned on achieving in one year.  No, I didn't exactly expect them to be a walk in the park, but never in a million years did I think I would fail at all three.

How did that happen? Is it okay with you if I blame it on the coronavirus? I don't need to tell any of you how this pandemic has fundamentally affected our lives.

We were moseying along minding our own business when this freakish virus descended on us and upended our world. Yes, it's the excuse I'm using - at least partly.

Goal #1 was to have this little blog "go public" and read by those unknown to me. Perhaps this has happened somewhat but, not to the extent that I'd expected. I did learn that I must move it to a platform that draws a larger circulation. To my credit I have been working on building a new site for the past several months - a huge learning curve for enormously un-techy me.

Goal #2 was to go from a 2.5 level to a 3.5 level in pickleball. Pickleball ended for us in February/March when our leagues were canceled, the YWCA closed to everyone but childcare and the public courts also shut down. I did manage to advance in my skills a bit before the shutdown, but nowhere near where I'd hoped to be.  

Goal #3 was to complete a collage for and about my son, Nick. He supplied me with bits and pieces to include in it. I was unhappy with what I created, decided to "practice" by making one for me that would be easier and voila! I created a collage I love. Alas, still not a completed one for Nick. It's halfway done and I'm keenly aware that it doesn't count as a true success.

The most significant take away from this endeavor has been the personal growth I've experienced. I've read about how it's not the achievement of the goal that is important but the person we become in the process. I'm sure you have experienced this as well. We marshal our forces and take on a challenge and whether we have attained victory or not we are better for having attempted it.

I'm going forward with these important intentions for as Dale Carnegie has said: "Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy!"

P.S.  I wrote this post yesterday and today I finished my son's collage. Hallelujah! I turned the tables on my resistance, quit my whining and got busy and what do you know - it's done! It's not my best or favorite piece but it's decent. I actually achieved one of my goals, but, again, that's not really the point. I showed up and became a tad braver because I did.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanksgiving

I wish my readers a happy and blessed Thanksgiving Day. I am so grateful for the four years I have been writing and you have been gracious e...