Thursday, August 20, 2020

What to Write About?

Sometimes I'm not sure what to write about. It's not that I don't have ideas. Quite the contrary. I have so many - which one should I choose; the ongoing pandemic, health, aging, the absence of travel or seeing and hugging our loved ones? So many choices.

I don't want to write too often about the current state of our country even though it is of utmost importance. It can be difficult to stay honestly and matter of factly upbeat about it. Yes, of course, we are fortunate in so many ways. In the first place, we are privileged to be Americans. What other country offers what the U.S. does regardless of where you live? No Pollyanna rhetoric here as I'm well aware of the poverty, racial unrest, and free-floating anxiety many of us are experiencing.

The truth of it is we are blessed to be here despite the discord, fear of the unknown as well as concerns of the present and unease and apprehension of the future. Many of us have lost loved ones - irreplaceable beings, lost jobs and sometimes we lose hope. I'm saddened by this.

The antidote for this state of affairs may be plain old gratitude. I've written about gratitude previously and more can always be said:

"Gratitude is, in its purest sense, living in the moment. It is being attuned to all that is around you and being at peace with it. It's touching the unknown power inside of you and knowing you are not alone and that you are being guided to a better place each and every day." (From Gratitude and Trust by Paul Williams and Tracey Jackson.)

If we stop now and then during our day, and relish the moment, all is well in that moment. I agree, it may be difficult to be at peace when our world has been turned upside down. Let's take the time to actually recognize how truly blessed we are - in spite of the hardships that are being felt by so many.

Meister Eckhart, philosopher, theologian and mystic said: "If the only prayer you ever said was "Thank You", that would be enough.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanksgiving

I wish my readers a happy and blessed Thanksgiving Day. I am so grateful for the four years I have been writing and you have been gracious e...