Thursday, August 27, 2020

Feeling Good

I'm almost a little embarrassed to admit this, but some days I'm feeling really good. Then I remember what I forgot - that we're in the middle of a national crisis. And I begin to feel guilty for feeling good. Geez, it's kind of crazy and puzzling  - isn't it? Yet, we have the right to feel good, to be happy. Actually, it's more than a right, it's a responsibility. How can we be of service or a help to anyone if we're feeling crummy? How do we even help ourselves?

"Feeling good is the gateway to gratitude. The better we feel about ourselves, the more grateful we are. The more grateful we are, the better we feel about ourselves." (from the book Gratitude and Trust).

My routine during this pandemic has been consistent. The only change has been the hour my day begins. Now that it is god-awful sweltering hot in Arizona, my day begins at 5:15 or so. I meet my dear friend Shannon with our pups for a walk that varies in length from 30 minutes to over an hour depending on our energy level. When the dreaded alarm vibrates on my Fitbit my first reaction is - oh no, can't be morning - it's still dark outside! However, as soon as my sweetheart Golden Retriever, Merlin, looks me in the eye with his big smile, I know I cannot disappoint him. Unconditional, never-ending love is what he exudes. Now my spirits, if not my energy, are lifted. Now I'm experiencing gratitude, not just for him, but for life itself, no matter what is going on in our world. How blessed are we that we get another day?

Are you able to feel appreciation for another day despite all the unrest and unknowns? Are you able to take a minute and take a breath and say yes to another day? Do you have a routine that helps your life stay somewhat on track?

What keeps my outlook positive and fuels me is that I feel I have a purpose (other than taking Merlin for a walk!). I have a reason to get my derriere out of my cozy bed. It's not a huge 'save the world from evil-type' purpose, but it's my little mission that motivates and inspires me. Actually, there are a couple of things - and this little blog is one of my pursuits and the other is creating art.

By having a purpose, we get to beat boredom and discontent at its own game, by being even more resolute than it is.

It would be abnormal not to be affected by all the happenings in the world. Human beings are born to feel and react to the challenges and opportunities life hands us. I believe that having a purpose centers us and gives us a place to express feelings, and acknowledge the gift of another day.

xo

1 comment:

Thanksgiving

I wish my readers a happy and blessed Thanksgiving Day. I am so grateful for the four years I have been writing and you have been gracious e...