Thursday, May 28, 2020

Staying Fit during Covid-19

I love to play pickle ball. Before the pandemic I played in an indoor league with other "picklers" at the same skill level. Teaming up this way enabled us to be competitive yet not to the point of being overly challenging. We met weekly and we were matched up with a different partner for each of the 4 or 5 games we played on our scheduled day. First and foremost - it was great fun. Secondly, we got a darn good workout.

Since the Covid-19 shut-down, as we know all gyms and pickle ball courts, both indoor and out were closed. Now what do I do to make up for the loss of the exercise? The end of our companionship and partner play is yet another issue.

On the days I wasn't playing pickle ball, I walked or hiked. Now, the walking and hiking has become a daily routine. Taking the same route every day can become weary so my dear friend and walking partner, Shannon, and I began exploring various neighborhoods near our home. The wandering led us up hills and down and past exquisite homes we hadn't seen before and most likely wouldn't if it weren't for this situation.

However, I felt I was using the same muscles every day and needed to work the ones that were being neglected since walking/hiking uses primarily the larger muscles of the lower body.

This is where the dreaded weights come in. I call them dreaded because I do NOT relish lifting weights and have been avoiding them at all costs. I have repeatedly said in the past that I would begin working with weights as I know how important they are to both muscle and bone health. Sure, there were days I broke down and lifted a few dumbbells - bicep curls here and there, a few kickbacks, now and then, but nothing serious.

Finally, I've relented and have begun a weight lifting program of my design. Believe it or not, I have been enduring it for nine weeks now. It's actually not as bad as I had conjured up. Granted, I'm only using 5-8 pound dumbbells but I am consistently lifting 2-3 times a week.  Hallelujah!  I'm finally being accountable to myself. Darn, I am so proud. And, I believe I am seeing a bit of muscle growth!

I'm determined to not only stay healthy, well and strong through this crazy time but to be stronger than before. Healthier and more resilient than I was several months ago. My heart is certainly more open and grateful for the frontline workers that I - for the most part - took for granted. Never again. And my life - while I never took that for granted, I have certainly become more aware of it's fragility.

xo


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanksgiving

I wish my readers a happy and blessed Thanksgiving Day. I am so grateful for the four years I have been writing and you have been gracious e...