Thursday, May 7, 2020

Your Memoir

I wrote the following blog post a week or so before the Coronavirus pandemic began and didn't publish it. It was a  light and breezy post. It still is, however, perhaps what you may have named your memoir prior to this epidemic is not the same as what you may call it today. I will give the title of my memoir more thought, however, the original post is as follows:

One of my favorite creative and inspiring books is Art and Soul, Reloaded by Pam Grout. It is filled with exercises to jumpstart our creative juices and at times, to step outside of our comfort zones.

One of the more interesting assignments is to write our memoir in six words, no more no less. This idea originated with the book Not Quite What I was Planning, a collection of six word memoir titles by famous and not so famous people.

It all began when Ernest Hemingway wrote: "For sale: baby shoes, never worn".

A few examples from the book are:

Author Dave Eggers: Fifteen years since last professional haircut.

Comedian Stephen Colbert: Well, I thought it was funny.

Author Joyce Carol Oates: Revenge is living well,  without you.

Chef and restauranteur Mario Batali: Brought it to a boil, often.

And one from a not-so-famous person; me: Still curious after all these years.

It's fun and not as easy as it sounds to come up with a six word title for your memoir.  Give it some thought.  What would your memoir be called?

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanksgiving

I wish my readers a happy and blessed Thanksgiving Day. I am so grateful for the four years I have been writing and you have been gracious e...