Thursday, April 2, 2020

Blessed

Shannon and I live three houses apart yet we take separate cars to drive the mile or so to our favorite hiking trails since the Covid-19 pandemic began.  Once there we try to maintain a gap of several feet. It's a beautiful trail - especially now with the wildflowers blooming and patches of green grass everywhere, thanks to the abundant rain that fell on the desert this winter.  We go early to avoid as many hikers as possible, still there are a few, keeping their distance, as well. Our new normal. Yet, I know how blessed we are.

Accounts of overcrowded hospitals, not enough protective equipment for the medical staffs, a short supply of testing kits, grocery stores running out of food. Don't even get me started on the lack of toilet paper or disinfectant sprays and wipes.  Still, we are blessed.

We have plenty of food. A pot roast is cooking in the crock pot as I write this, surrounded by potatoes and carrots. My Golden Retriever, Merlin, still has a cupboard full of treats. Yes, we are blessed.

However, many, many people have died all across the globe from this unfathomable virus. Hospital workers are putting their lives on the line daily. Our supermarket employees are hard at work stocking shelves and ringing up our purchases. The UPS, Amazon, Post Office and Fed Ex drivers are still managing to get our goods to us. So many are risking their personal health and welfare in order to help others. Could this be a reset button for us to wake up and love more? Be more charitable? Appreciate all that we have? Be grateful for all those who are working around the clock to help others?

Will we emerge from this a better human being? No longer take for granted all that we have? Perhaps give more of ourselves?

Sure I miss going out to dinner, playing pickle ball with my friends, getting a manicure - but I have become acutely aware that these things I can live without. A minor inconvenience.

I have my health. My husband, son, sisters and brother are well as are my extended family and my friends, thus far. Yes, I am blessed and grateful to all those who have been doing amazing work to help all of us.

My heart goes out to those who have lost a loved one or who may have been diagnosed with the virus. And most of all - a huge thank you to those people who are putting their lives at risk daily. We are blessed to have you. Stay safe.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanksgiving

I wish my readers a happy and blessed Thanksgiving Day. I am so grateful for the four years I have been writing and you have been gracious e...