Thursday, February 20, 2020

Community - An Important Step to Wellness

There is a lot of information available today regarding how to be healthy through exercise and diet. Most of us are well informed in these areas. Another way to maintain optimal health that can add years to our lives and life to our years are the relationships we have. From our significant others, to children and grandchildren, church members, and friends - these connections are invaluable to our health and well being.

It is so vital that we feel seen and heard when we share our thoughts, dreams, vulnerabilities, pain and successes with others. It doesn't take a huge amount of people to form a community. It can  be one or two people that you trust and care about, in order to feel connected and fulfilled.

Since I lived in California for over 40 years, I have been blessed to have a group of friends that I connect with on a regular basis. When I first moved to Arizona in 2013, I didn't know any women except for the wives of my hubby's friends. That was hard, as they had their own friends and busy lives.

Fortunately, I was lucky enough to meet a neighbor and Shannon is now one of my closest confidantes. I'd be lost without her. In addition, I have developed a wonderful circle of friends through a mutual love of pickle ball.  Our friendships have grown beyond merely playing a sport. These women buoy me up when I feel down and listen to my complaints without too much eye rolling (kidding). They also inspire me to play better and to listen to my body and rest when needed.

It is important to recognize that our supportive relationships enhance our lives inviting better health and well-being. Sharing the ups and downs of everyday life, and the joy and heartache we all go through is easier to bear when there is a kind ear and heart listening.

This type of camaraderie is priceless and it's health benefits go beyond anything that medication can do.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanksgiving

I wish my readers a happy and blessed Thanksgiving Day. I am so grateful for the four years I have been writing and you have been gracious e...