Thursday, January 16, 2020

Welcoming Change, or Not

A new year usually inspires change and I want to share this quote from Deepak Chopra regarding change:

"Even if we feel our lives are stuck in a rut, the truth is that life is still constantly changing. This element of change is what makes life interesting, creative and new. We resist change because we mistakenly look for security in the past."

I must admit, I don't always welcome change. When I discovered that the father of my children was partaking in pastimes that went outside of our marital vows, I had to take action. I demanded that he stop immediately. Nice try. It took a couple of years before I was finally able to make the break, given our boys were only 4 and 10 years old. The change was not only unwelcome, it was heartbreaking, mostly for the children. By this time, I was done with him. Yet, the change was still difficult, and my lovely, affluent lifestyle came to an abrupt halt and back to work I went.

As it often happens, this change was for the best. Yes, it was hard on us but the growth that took place and the people we have become would not have transpired if we stayed together.

I relish change when it's my idea. Take pickleball, for instance. When I got the impulse to try this sport I was immediately smitten! And it has changed my life in unexpected ways. I have met and befriended a group of women who are a big part of my life today and I have a feeling we will always have a special connection, no matter what the future brings.

I have gained a new level of confidence by stepping out and engaging in this sport and am continuously improving (well, mostly). Pickleball has also given me both a source of energy and an outlet for it. I now have a new form of exercise to complement my hikes and stretching. Soon, I will return to the gym for Pilates and yoga, barre and weights, another very much needed change.

Being proactive and looking for ways to be engaged and interested in something new has given me an energized state of mind. My life wasn't exactly in a rut but pickleball has definitely been a welcome plus.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanksgiving

I wish my readers a happy and blessed Thanksgiving Day. I am so grateful for the four years I have been writing and you have been gracious e...