Thursday, December 5, 2019

Lessons Through Challenges

I decided to quit drinking in September 2018 and it was one of the best decisions of my life. However, it's not always a walk in the park. Thus, for support,  I joined an online sober community headed by Holly Whitaker and signed on for 40 days worth of daily mantras to help shift any negative thoughts into loving, hopeful or optimistic thoughts.

Generally, I'm a very positive, happy person, however, there are times, when even the most benign occurrence can annoy me, and today's mantra has come in handy: "My challenges are my greatest learning devices".

The petty incident that bothered me happened at pickleball league yesterday.  My partner for one of the games was a man who was frustrating to play with as he didn't even try to hit the ball if it was out of his reach. I consider myself a fairly competitive person - not extremely competitive, but, if you're playing in a league the point is to do your best to win! Gee, shouldn't that be the very basic intention?

Today, I played pickleball with friends and after 3 games or so, my back began to hurt and I wasn't able to chase the ball as I normally would. Insert today's mantra: "my challenges are my greatest learning devices!".  I have no idea why the gentleman I played with yesterday did not attempt to chase the balls, but I am humbled to realize he, too, could have been in pain.

On the other end of the spectrum, there are devastating events that bring us to our knees and this I have experienced, as well. The death of my oldest son, Anthony, at the age of 36, four years ago was the most painful heartache I have endured. This, too, was a learning experience: treasure every day as though it is your last and see every person as a gift that has been given to you. Do not wait to tell your loved ones how you feel. Tell them now and tell them often.

Every day is a chance to do better and be a better person and to accept life's challenges, big and small, with an open heart, if not open arms.

xo


1 comment:

  1. Hugs!
    I’m sorry to read about your son.
    I so agree to tell people you love how much you care!
    And yes, my deafness taught me so much, too.
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete

Thanksgiving

I wish my readers a happy and blessed Thanksgiving Day. I am so grateful for the four years I have been writing and you have been gracious e...