Thursday, October 24, 2019

A Little More on Brain Health

In my last post I wrote about a bit of research I've done on brain health since my friend was diagnosed with Mild Cognitive Impairment and I listed several things we can do to help protect ourselves from the various forms of dementia, with Alzheimer's being the most common type.

I have discovered that there are many risk factors that some of us engage in that contribute to low blood flow to the brain and low blood flow is the number one predictor of future Alzheimer's disease.

Blood Flow Risks That Drain Your Brain:

- Excessive caffeine
- Nicotine
- Dehydration
- Hypertension
- Any cardiovascular disease
- Erectile dysfunction
- Oxygen deprivation (such as near drowning)
- Too little exercise

As Dr. Daniel Amen explains in his latest book: Feel Better Fast and Make It Last;  "Circulation is essential to life. It is the conduit for transporting nutrients to, and toxins away from your cells. Low blood flow shrinks the brain and kills its cells".......He goes on to say: "What's more, if you have blood flow problems anywhere, you likely have them throughout your body."

I have decided to explore my health markers by scheduling an extensive blood test that I will take this week.  One of my main concerns is inflammation in the body, as this, too, affects brain health.

No, I'm not getting obsessive about my brain health, just curious to see how I'm doing. And, at least we have some say in the matter.  As I have said before, I plan on living well into my 90's and with God's help - even possibly into my 100's!

xo




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanksgiving

I wish my readers a happy and blessed Thanksgiving Day. I am so grateful for the four years I have been writing and you have been gracious e...