Thursday, June 27, 2019

Summer Trips

One of my summer trips this year is over - my visit to New Jersey and New York.  I'm in the middle of my second trip - to Marin County, CA so I'll begin this post by telling you a little about this one.

I lived in Marin for over 40 years moving here from N.J. in 1975.  I was married here and raised my two sons here so my connections run deep.

 I moved to Arizona to be with my current husband 6 years ago and maintain an apartment here.  It is where I stay when I return to visit friends and family and has become my haven to recharge, rest and renew and I know I am blessed to have this place!

My husband was planning to come with me for a few days to visit friends and then drive back to AZ alone with me staying on for a few more days and then flying home. However, he did not feel up to two 12 hour drives.  I can't say I blame him.  And, I was a little disappointed, but also must admit that I am mostly happy to have this extra time alone here.

 I spent my first full day here with my son, Nick.  We went to the deYoung Museum to see the final weekend of the Gauguin exhibit. It wasn't large but very lovely, showcasing his art from his time in Paris, Copenhagen and finally in Tahiti. Both of us enjoy visiting museums and it's so nice to share this interest with him.

Nick and I had lunch together on Geary St. in San Francisco near his apartment that lies between the Tenderloin and the lovely neighborhood of Nob Hill, abundance abutting homelessness.

There was a pizza box right outside the window where we sat in the restaurant and within the first 15 minutes of being seated no less than 5 people stopped to open the box.  The first one scored a slice of pizza.  Sadly, the remaining 4 people continued on their way, hungry. It's heartbreaking to see this happening and I do my part to make a difference yet there is so much yet there is so much that needs to be done. But, this post is not going to address that.

Always when I visit Marin my focus is to see my son, my sister and my friends. I have accomplished most of that and will see two more friends tomorrow before returning to AZ on Saturday.

I love seeing my friends and catching up on their lives - discussing topics that we may not have time for when we chat on the phone between visits. Plus, eye to eye contact is so rewarding - that and seeing their beautiful, smiling faces.

The other thing I love to do when I visit is simply hiking the scenic trails taking in the views of the bay or Mt. Tam or walking the neighborhoods, enjoying the San Francisco skyline sparkling in the sun.

I love being here and I love being in Arizona as well. How lucky can one person get?

Since I did go on a bit, I will write about my visit to New York/New Jersey in my next post.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanksgiving

I wish my readers a happy and blessed Thanksgiving Day. I am so grateful for the four years I have been writing and you have been gracious e...