Thursday, June 20, 2019

Socializing

There was a time I enjoyed having friends over for dinner, usually 3-4 couples  preceded by appetizers and cocktails. I enjoyed the entire process: from planning the food, to the guest list, deciding on the table setting, getting the house in order and deciding what to wear.

My husband's heritage is half Irish and one of the ways he enjoys entertaining friends is with a St. Patrick's Day dinner of corned beef and cabbage, boiled potatoes, followed by my homemade strawberry cheesecake.  Of course various appetizers and cocktails are part of the festivities.

This year however, our usual group was unable to attend due to family illness so we had a little celebration just the two of us.

Another big celebration we have annually is Christmas Eve.  I have hosted a dinner for as long as I can remember - long before Bill and I were together, however, the past two years he and I stayed in Arizona rather than traveling to California for the Christmas holidays, so again, it was just the two of us for our celebration.

Life changes routines and customs, celebrations change along with it.

I must say, that even though these two festive events did not happen in the recent past is not a reason to not more forward and have a dinner party!  I think I have simply gotten comfortable just the two of us every night and I have not taken the initiative to organize a little party.

We also have taken to going out to meet friends, both as a couple and individually.  I know for me, it is a great way to catch up - getting together for lunch and a chat.

Obviously, I have been thinking about this or I wouldn't be writing about it, so I am making a commitment to have a party in the very near future, most likely in July (as I'm going to CA on Friday for a week and it will be July when I return).

Even though a party takes time and planning, it is also very rewarding and satisfying to host a dinner and entertain our friends.

I'll report back about this in a (not too distant) future  post.

Meanwhile, I'd love to hear about your entertaining events.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanksgiving

I wish my readers a happy and blessed Thanksgiving Day. I am so grateful for the four years I have been writing and you have been gracious e...