Friday, March 15, 2019

My Creative Friends

Somewhere around 20 years ago - none of us really is sure how long it's been, a friendship formed.  There were six of us originally. We met at an Artist's Way class at a local high school in Mill Valley, CA.  Each one of us there to either discover a hidden talent, find a creative outlet or help decide if we were on the right path.

The class followed Julia Cameron's book and I highly recommend the book or better yet, a class if there is one near you.

There were approximately 20 people in the class and over the course of the 12 week program, the six of us gravitated toward each other, sharing our experiences as we did our homework and exercises.

After the class ended we decided to get together for a hike.  One of the six dropped out not long after as one of the tenets that brought us together was complete honesty and sadly she wasn't able to fully comply.

We developed a friendship that has grown and nurtured into a true sisterhood.

Another friend from the group moved out of state, quit her insurance company job and is now a full time collage artist.

Now we are four.  And we are a close tightly knit group. I, too, have moved but Arizona is not that far and I return to California every other month or so.  We always arrange to get together for lunch and/or a hike.

The four of us have been a tremendous support system to one another.  We all share the same spiritual beliefs and one of them is the love and desire to learn and grow.  We believe that God (the Universe, Spirit, whatever name you choose to use) wants us to be happy and to evolve into our best selves.

Meredith is a full time artist teaching mentally challenged adults,  Jennifer is a highly sought after chef with a catering business and Jill is a compassionate and insightful therapist with a thriving practice.

I retired and dabbled in several "hobbies".  I've (obviously) started this blog, taken pickle ball lessons, and most recently enrolled in  a collage class and just yesterday finished my first "masterpiece"!  In addition, I've been replacing furniture that no longer suits me and little by little (hopefully) I will have replaced most of it.

My life is so enriched by this friendship and I have learned so much from each of them and I'm sure they appreciate me for my contribution to their lives, as well.  A true collaboration of like minds and a blessing for all of us.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanksgiving

I wish my readers a happy and blessed Thanksgiving Day. I am so grateful for the four years I have been writing and you have been gracious e...