Tuesday, February 26, 2019

A New Friendship Later in Life

As a young adult it's easy to make friends as we have many opportunities to meet people. Most of us are either working or are stay at home moms - both ideal situations to make friends.  At work, it's obvious.  There will be other women there (unless, of course, it is a one woman office) and a man can be a good friend, too.  If we are staying home raising our children, there are many places to meet other moms: scouts, sports, school, etc.

But what happens when our children are grown and on their own?  If we're fortunate, we still have some of the friends we made when our children were little or when we were working.  Often though, some move, pass away or we simply outgrow one another.  Then what?

I'm blessed to have wonderful friends in California where I lived for over 40 years.  However, 5 1/2 years ago I moved to Arizona to join my sweetheart and I spend about 90% of my time there now.

I've made friends with several lovely women, wives of my husbands' friends, however, they are either not that close by or travel a great deal or already have dear friends and spend their time with them.

Three years ago I met a neighbor at a party.  She also is retired, one of the only in my neighborhood.  We exchanged phone numbers but it took us 6 months after our initial meeting to actually get together.  One day we decided to go for a morning walk.  Now we walk, hike or go to the gym together nearly every day.  Not only has she become an exercise partner, but a dear friend and  confidant and honestly, I wouldn't know what to do without her! We talk about our problems (and blessedly they are few), issues with relatives, dinner ideas, vacation plans - well, you name it! There's very little we don't share.  Having Shannon as a friend makes all the difference in how I feel about living here.  A woman needs more than a husband with which to share her life. The connection and warmth I have with Shannon fills me with happiness and the knowing that she is there for me and I for her.
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanksgiving

I wish my readers a happy and blessed Thanksgiving Day. I am so grateful for the four years I have been writing and you have been gracious e...