Thursday, May 6, 2021

How Are You Living Your Life?

 How often, if ever, do you ask yourself this question?


Photo by Nazrin B-va on Unsplash

No judgment here, but are you a goal-setter? Some of us are, others not so much. Certain men and women aspire to have a better job, a more luxurious home, or a fancier car. Others are content with the status quo and prefer to mosey along happily. 

Charitable souls work towards eliminating global warming, and others labor to bring clean drinking water to the millions of humans who do not have this basic necessity. None of these are right or wrong. It’s a personal preference to live your life the way you desire.

Financial freedom is worth striving for, and having material goodies is a way of celebrating our hard work. 

If you love your professional life yet are not interested in advancing, that is perfectly acceptable. You get to choose your path.

Giving your time, money, or talent to helping others is admirable and praiseworthy and commendable, still, as in the previous examples — a choice.

I have been retired for eight years. I was a stay-at-home mother for several years and enjoyed that immensely. It was hugely fulfilling, and I wouldn’t trade that experience for anything. My children benefitted by being available for them, attending their sports activities, and volunteering in their classrooms. 

Both before and after being a homemaker, I worked outside the home. For many years, I was in the insurance and financial planning field as a secretary, and later, when titles became embellished, I was now an “administrative assistant” to the president. These positions weren’t what I aspired to. I didn’t pursue any career in particular. I fell into what was convenient and financially acceptable. I regret that now, yet pointless to lament, as it was my choice.

Volunteering for a cause I believed in was essential to me, and I always made that a part of my life. 

In the spiritual law of karma, every action generates a force of energy that is returned to us in kind. Simply put, what we give, we receive. When we choose actions that bring happiness and success to others, the fruit of our karma is happiness and success. — Deepak Chopra, author, physician and alternative medicine advocate.


I enjoyed giving my time working with harbor seals for the Marine Mammal Center and working for breast cancer galas by securing silent auction items. These were several undertakings that were satisfying and on purpose. And examples of how I chose to spend my time intentionally.

Do you have a focus for your life? A five-year plan? Perhaps, a ten-year plan? I don’t have long-term goals right now, but that is not to say I won't in the future. However, I do have a focus for my life. I can not fathom not having a direction. It would be difficult for me to get out of bed in the morning without a purpose or a plan? 

Those of you who go to a brick-and-mortar workplace already have a strategy — get there and get to work. Even with that as your motivation, is there another intention that drives you, gives you meaning?

Right now, my primary aim is to write and publish on Medium and hopefully other platforms, as well. I’m a newbie. I am learning as I go. And I’m having fun and look forward to writing each day.

In addition to writing, my other purpose, also passion, is playing pickleball. I’m retired, remember?

Nonetheless, I plan on finding a place to give back. Before the pandemic, I was volunteering at our outstanding local museum. My position was to answer questions from patrons and advise them as to the various galleries and exhibits. My time at the museum was a weekly gig, and for the first four and a half years, I supremely enjoyed it. Towards the end, I grew tired of the routine and considered other places to donate my time. That is where I am now, back to contemplating the various charitable opportunities as venues are opening up, post-Covid.

My son, Anthony, died at age 36 due to complications of Ulcerative Colitis, with addiction to opioids a contributing factor. He was prescribed oxycontin for his pain and became addicted. I am researching situations in that area where I may be able to give my time.

I consider myself extremely blessed that I am retired and able to pick and choose my activities, including volunteering. Even so, for those of you working full-time, donating your time is of paramount importance not only to the receiver but to you, as well. 

It has been proven that depressed men and women who are given a prescription to volunteer at a food bank, or hospital, often leave their disorder behind. Volunteering may not be an immediate fix. Take small steps, planning on a few hours a week. By being accountable to someone else improves self-confidence and increases patience and empathy, according to Susan J. Noonan, M.D. -Psychology Today.

Your heart will fill with gratitude for the opportunity to help another — whether human, animal, or organization. You will find the benefits immense and deeply gratifying.

People may spend their whole lives climbing the ladder of success only to find, once they reach the top, that the ladder is leaning against the wrong wall. —  Thomas Merton, Trappist Monk, writer, theologian.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanksgiving

I wish my readers a happy and blessed Thanksgiving Day. I am so grateful for the four years I have been writing and you have been gracious e...