Thursday, January 7, 2021

Welcome to 2021

 Do you have plans for this new year? Have you made resolutions you are determined to accomplish?

I thought I'd begin my project of plans and goals by making a "To Do List" of sorts.  I did not expect it to be several pages. Yes, I've probably gone into more detail than necessary, still the list is lengthy and I am not deterred.

Much of what is on this list are items I planned on completing in 2020 - however, I, along with the rest of the world, was met with an alarming roadblock known as Covid-19.  The projects I'm referring to are mainly changes I planned on making in and around our home. I put all these on hold as I was afraid to have workmen in our home during this terribly contagious time. 

I was even apprehensive about going to Home Depot or other garden stores for fear of catching the virus, so I did not plant one flower the entire year.

The vaccine is on it's way. True, it is not a cure-all, but I do feel that the end of the pandemic is in sight and I am feeling more optimistic than I have been in many months, thus, the long list of projects.

More important than these projects around the home is what is going on inside of me. Paradoxically, despite my optimism, I often have a feeling of dread. Perhaps the end of the pandemic really is not just around the corner. Then I remind myself, I must stay open and receptive to life. This is not the time to shut down, it is the time to power up.

We have been abiding by the CDC recommendations to wear a mask, wash and sanitize hands, cell phones, door knobs, on and on ad infinitum. Again, this may seem counterintuitive, but for me it has created an atmosphere of doom not one of safety.

It is time to take back our lives. Yes, continue to listen to the science of safety recommendations but for Pete's sake, let's remember we are brave and smart, competent, caring and careful. We have much to look forward to in the upcoming year and many opportunities for growth and learning, friendship and love, giving and sharing. Let us be grateful for all we have and the lessons we have learned this year. Let's be at peace and learn to appreciate life - with all it's ups and downs.

"Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim." Nora Ephron.

xo

Addendum:

I could not publish this post, that was written several days ago, without saying how devastated and heartbroken I am by the desecration of our Capitol Building and our democracy, by the protestors, rather hoodlums, that attacked and overran the offices of our lawmakers. These people were incited by a president who is now responsible for one of the saddest days in the history of our nation. I'm sure you are as shocked and horrified as I am.

We are only two weeks away from Joe Biden's inauguration.  I am sure that decency, respect, integrity, fairness, calm and peace will be restored. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanksgiving

I wish my readers a happy and blessed Thanksgiving Day. I am so grateful for the four years I have been writing and you have been gracious e...