Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Remembrance

 Today, October 28, 2020 is the fifth anniversary of the death of my dear son, Anthony.

Anthony was a remarkable young man, and by example, taught me so much about life and living. He demonstrated independence, courage, tenacity, resilience, passion and optimism.

Anthony was only 36 when he passed from complications after surgery for ulcerative colitis. He died young yet he lived a more fulfilled and impassioned life than many who achieve old age. 

As a young boy, he was drawn to the sea and began sailing at age 12. At 21 he left our home in California and headed to Hawaii, working on a dinner cruise and fishing during time off. A year later he moved to Kennebunkport, Maine becoming a lobsterman, fisherman and adventurous sailor. He was the first mate on a yacht that sailed across the Atlantic to Europe and beyond. As I said, he lived a very full and ebullient life.

Though I miss Anthony every day, I know that death does not end a relationship, as there is no endpoint to love and loss. I know, many of you have also endured the passing of a loved one, so you know whereof I speak. We will not get through this life without experiencing the heartbreaking death of a beloved.

So, I say - Carpe' the hell out of this diem! Tomorrow is not promised.

My dear Anthony, thank you for choosing me to be your mom for almost 37 years.

As the Persian mystic; Rumi said: "Goodbyes are only for those who love with their eyes. Because for those who love with their heart and soul, there is no such thing as separation".

xo



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanksgiving

I wish my readers a happy and blessed Thanksgiving Day. I am so grateful for the four years I have been writing and you have been gracious e...