Thursday, October 15, 2020

Mental Illness or Covid Anxiety

 There is a young rapper named Logic who suffers from anxiety. He was brave enough to write a song about his experience with depression and anxiety. The name of the song is "1-800-273-8255." That is also the number of the National Suicide Prevention Hotline. "I made this song for all of you who are in a dark place and can't seem to find the light." Even though he was never suicidal, he did end up in the hospital due to severe anxiety attacks. Huge financial success with the release of two albums did not bring him comfort. He has found peace now with his role as a husband and a new dad.

Those suffering from anxiety, bi-polar or other pre-existing mental health issues may find their symptoms exacerbating.  

During this uncertain and tumultuous time many of us are experiencing disturbing and unsettling feelings. There are days I am feeling agitated and frustrated. I can't identify exactly why. At times it can be a general feeling of unrest. Most days, however,  I'm upbeat and motivated. I have absolutely no explanation for the disparity. 

Whether it's a mental health issue or anxiety strictly due to the pandemic, it is clear that people are suffering. 

There is a tremendous sense of loss in our country right now. For one thing, our freedom to simply be out and about is severely curtailed if not eliminated entirely. It is uncertain when and how this virus will be eradicated. We feel powerless over decisions we once took for granted. And for many, there is overwhelming boredom.

No matter where you are on the spectrum of mental health, there are things we can do to help curtail our stress. 

They are the tried and true suggestions that keep appearing - and it's because they work: Reach out to others. Knowing you are not alone can be a badly needed salve. Make a phone call to a dear friend. It may be exactly what she needed, as well. Exercise - even if all you can manage is a 15 minute walk around the block. Be sure you're getting plenty of sleep. Eat well. I know, that bowl of ice cream is soothing, so go ahead, have it - just be mindful of the amount so you won't be regretting it next week! Gratitude and meditation work wonders for me. If I stop during the day and remember all I have to be thankful for, it can be an immediate boost to my mood. Starting the day with a meditation is helpful for some, myself included.

A process that younger people use frequently is talking about mental illness and feelings of anxiety with their peers. This helps to diminish the stigma previously surrounding mental illness. Let us embrace this practice, as well.

I also believe it is exceedingly important that you give yourself permission to be proud of yourself. We have been enduring this difficult situation for at least seven months and we are tenacious. We are courageous. We have heart. And we have one another.

xo


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanksgiving

I wish my readers a happy and blessed Thanksgiving Day. I am so grateful for the four years I have been writing and you have been gracious e...