Sunday, June 9, 2019

Health

As we age we certainly may face more health issues.  After all, think of the years we've accumulated and what we've consumed, breathed in, and put our bodies through in the name of fitness, play or perhaps, even abuse.

Regarding the abuse topic; there was a time when medical opinions insisted wine was good for us. When I gave birth to my first son, my obstetrician suggested I order a glass of red wine with my dinner as it helps increase the milk my breasts would produce. Hello!  I wanted to nurse my baby not anesthetize him. I was too uninformed and naive to know better even though my intuition told me this seemed crazy, so I went along. Now the latest data is saying that alcohol in any amount is harmful to the body.  Yes, it may help slightly in preventing heart attacks, however, the myriad diseases it has now been attributed to far outweigh any benefits.

And for more abuse - there's smoking.  Many of us indulged in this awful habit as it was considered very cool when we were young. I'm praying I've sidestepped the ravages that smoking can inflict on one's body.  I've been off those disgusting things for 30 years now.

And I've had my share of junk food, though, mostly I have always eaten healthily and definitely for the past 20 years or so I have been very mindful of the foods I put into my mouth knowing it has a direct effect on my energy, appearance and health.

I exercise 6 days a week, sleep an average of 7 hours a night, drink plenty of water, meditate every morning and spend time with the hubby and friends.  I believe that covers most of the bases for a healthy life.

I'm doing what I can to stay healthy as I age and thus far, other than Irritable Bowel Syndrome, that I've had since my forties, I do not have any health issues nor am I on any medication.  Whoo hoo!  I think I'm doing pretty good.

What are you dong to stay healthy as you age?

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanksgiving

I wish my readers a happy and blessed Thanksgiving Day. I am so grateful for the four years I have been writing and you have been gracious e...