Friday, May 24, 2019

Fitness As We Age

We often hear about the importance of staying fit and healthy in our later years. Yes, it's essential if we want to be vital and mobile and mentally sound.

Having a sharp mind is also as important as having a fit body.

What are you doing to be physically strong and mentally sound? For me, moving every day is paramount. I either hike, play pickle ball (my new passion), go to the gym, or walk in my neighborhood (either with or without my dog). I do this six days a week.

What I'm not doing so much of is weight training. Ugh.  Just the thought bores and frightens me. And confuses me! I tend to forget the weight I used last on a certain machine, or the setting for the seat, or the placement of the parts of the apparatus attached to said machine. Jeez. So pretty much, I take cardio/weight classes that incorporate muscles into the routine so I do get to exercise those body parts, too. I know, hire a trainer, you say. I've done that but unless I use her/him often, I don't remember what I was shown the last time I was at the gym.

I must say, however, I do like the feeling the next day when my muscles are sore and I'm once again reminded how important it is to use them. I'll stick to my classes for my muscles and maybe try the machines again one day.

Then there's the mind.  I love to read, thank goodness, and I usually have about four books going at once; a fiction, a spiritual book, an art tome and a book or website that supports and motivates my health intentions.

From what I've learned through my research, one of the best ways to stave off signs of ageing is to incorporate hand-eye coordination in a sport and pickle ball fills the bill for me. Also, learning a new language or musical instrument is a great way to use the ole noggin.

For me, writing this blog is fun and challenging. Writing is not something that comes naturally to me and I believe that, too, will carve out new neural pathways that will help delay the signs of ageing.

I'd be remiss if I did not mention the spiritual aspect that also aids in keeping us young. Meditation and yoga have been proven to reduce stress and increase the serotonin levels in the brain and decrease cortisol, the stress hormone.

And of course, there is sleep, beautiful, deep, luxurious sleep. It is said that we need less as we age. I have not found this to be true, as of yet. I am still loving 7-8 hours nightly and since I have not been indulging in alcohol, my sleep is deeper, sounder and more restful than ever.

And finally and one of the most important areas is having a community where we feel heard and understood. Friends are invaluable at all ages but research has proven it is even more crucial later in life. So call your girlfriends and make a date for lunch, a movie or a walk. It'll do you all a world of good.

So the take away that I have experienced to feeling young is - exercise the body and brain, slow down with meditation or yoga, indulge nightly in plenty of sleep and see your friends!

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanksgiving

I wish my readers a happy and blessed Thanksgiving Day. I am so grateful for the four years I have been writing and you have been gracious e...